1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Engine?

Discussion in '96-00 Civic' started by fallbacdun, Mar 15, 2007.

1. SiRcivic97

SiRcivic97 New Member

Start a Conversation
  2. rmoracer34

rmoracer34 New Member

Start a Conversation
    ^^^thats a good thread^^^

3. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation

yes this was a great thread and will use it in the future mean while i had a question SiRcivic97:

1.) I bought a b16 complete block it has crank, block guard, used p30 pistons, used pr3 rods, 22t water pump, and oil pump from what i can tell. the guy i got it from said it had been drilled for turbo??? not quite sure what that means? What i was wondering was how do i find out if it is jdm or usdm. The block just reads as follows:

b16a
    5xxxxxxx
    HM

i read another thread that says this means jdm b16a2 170 hp is this correct?

2.) do i need to have the block cleaned and honed?
    what (yr.) head should i be looking to buy?
    what tranny do i use?

3.) I heard since i got a 99 civic i should be able to reuse some parts. i.e. wiring harness, motor mounts, etc.

hey man thanks for your help!!!!!!:attention:

4. EKb18c

EKb18c New Member

Start a Conversation
    i can answer your question i built a 99 civic coupe not to long ago. by drilling he probably meant the oil pan has been tapped for the oil return. and your engine is jdm if it reads B16A. the usdm motors are B16A2 found in the 99-00 civic si and the B16A3 found in the del sol vtec. the jdm engines dont have a number at the end of the code. the jdm B16A from the EG6 SiR has 170hp compared to our usdm B16A2/3 which is rated at 160hp. if the block is in decent shape then you might not have to get it honed but if has been run pretty hard the you could consider it. as far as the head goes you can use any B series vtec. personally im a fan of the PR3 head which is the B16/Type R casting. the P72 head front the Gsr B18 will slightly raise the comperssion if you put it on a B16 block but overall design i would go with a B16. and yeah you can reuse the harness if you want but as far as mounts go i used the stock mounts to put the B16 in my EK hatch but in the coupe i used an aftermarket set. so either way works. good luck and if you wanna know anything else id be glad to answer.

5. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    thanks for the information. when i got the block it didn't come with an oil pan. do you build engines? i need to know what parts to buy so that i can finish the build. is there any good write ups that you know of? i am glad that i can reuse my harness what else do you know that i can use? p/s, a/c??? i will be looking for a complete head buying when taxes come in a month, i should try and find a complete head does the yr matter or just the fact that it b16 should it be jdm, too. i appreciate your help thanks for posting! i can take pictures of what i have if it will help any, lmk

6. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    what about the pistons and rods, the piston are p30 w/ pr3 rods. should i have them recondtioned. i mean they look in good shape to me, the reason i ask is I haven't found a machine here yet, i live in orlando florida.

7. EKb18c

EKb18c New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah i do a lil somethin. i have a friend that re assembles the block itself but as far as everything else goes i can do it myself. i have done just about any kind of honda motor you can think of. i dont really use write ups i just freestyle with it lol.i just use a bunch of good stuff in conjunction with each other and it comes out nice. like they always say you get what you pay for. so if you buy the good stuff you get good results. and you can buy any kinda of head usdm or jdm. the b16 head hasnt really changed much over the years. and as far as machine shops my best friend oscar lives in orlando he drives a red del sol with a b16 swap. i could ask him about whats around he knows a lot of the right people.

8. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    yeah that would be great! does he build motors to? so can you give me a list of parts that i need to complete the block?

9. EKb18c

EKb18c New Member

Start a Conversation
    what all are you missin besides the oil pan?

10. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    i really dont know!!!! this is the part that i am having trouble with. please give me your email and I can send some pictures of what I got!

11. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    ekb18c did you get the pics that i sent you???????

12. EKb18c

EKb18c New Member

Start a Conversation
    did you get my emails? hows is comin along?

13. fallbacdun

fallbacdun New Member

Start a Conversation
    yes i did get your emails and I did finally decide to get a swap. I got a 2000 gs-r. I just finished putting greddy headers on it and I also got a pherable.net chipped p28 with a skunk2 jumper.