1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most overpriced JDM shit

Discussion in 'General Car Discussions' started by EastEndMotorSports, Mar 18, 2007.

1. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    but hey, if it's a double cheese burger from a McD's in Japan, it may be worth it. :roflmao: jus playin. but on a serious note, McDonalds in Japan is a helluva lot better than McD's here. Especially their chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets. Man do those Japanese folks know how to fry some chicken. :) mmmmm, now I'm getting hungry, lol.

2. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Unless I had an endless amount of money, I couldn't bring myself to spend $1300 on an intake when that money could be put towards an aero kit or something else of greater magnitude. Oh and there isn't anything wrong with AEM, they make quality stuff for the price.

3. digitalHorizon

digitalHorizon New Member

Start a Conversation
    Why pay more for better parts? I would think its pretty self explanatory.

You're paying for better engineering (yes, I said it and I can back that statement up too, try me), better quality, better materials, and better workmanship. AEM is quality? Why did my OE airbox make more power with a Spoon direct flow pipe than its "revolutionary" cold air intake? The truth is, people in this hobby are FUCKING CHEAP BASTARDS. It used to be (and still is in Japan, for the most part from what I gather) that people bought parts based on what was best or what was most worth its dollars, not what cost the least that would do roughly what they wanted it to. If I'm spending a dollar, I'm spending it on the parts that best accomplish my objectives, and I don't mind stepping up and spending good money on good parts rather than spending no money on shit parts. Hence the "spend vs. waste" statement... its more worth it to me to pay for TRUE engineering and quality craftsmanship than to buy something that's inferior for less money. Anything that you have to add "for the price" to at the end, probably isn't a very good product.

I've formulated these opinions through years of experience with various shit parts, so anyone who wants to challenge my reasoning is welcome to. Like I said, I can back up just about everything with hard evidence, so try me.

And no, I wouldn't spend $100 on a double cheeseburger from McDonalds, but that's like saying you wouldn't spend $2000 on a set of Slipstreams. I'd spend $100 on a prime rib dinner at Lawry's though, which is a more closely related analogy.

Clock's ticking. Get busy typin'.

4. EastEndMotorSports

EastEndMotorSports New Member

Start a Conversation
    Touche', you've made your point and I whole heartedly agree with you.

5. Deibidosan

Deibidosan Active Member

Start a Conversation
    ^I agree. Thats one of the reasons why I live in Japan, but dont have alot of nice parts on my car. I dont have the money for the quality parts that i want. So rather than blow money on shit, i'll just rock the stockness for a while! :)

6. jhmed

jhmed Member

Start a Conversation
    I am with digitalhorizon on this one 100%.

A lot of people are fuckin' cheap bastards when it comes to their cars... that's why companies like APC and rActive have done so well in the past decade or so I've been around this scene. But some people are still in school and simply don't have the kind of cash flow or desire to spend that much on certain items, especially 'superfilous' items such as intakes and shit. Some people are just starting out in their builds and are learning... and that's ok too. I'm coming near the end of my project; so for me, I don't mind dropping a G or two to get what I need/want. While other people just starting out may spend $1000 on a bunch of stuff $2-300 at a time, I've already bought those items and only have the larger price-tagged items left... some of my things are now being taken from the "Extra's" catagory on my build list. I know I've been building my car (in one form or another) for eleven years. I'm 32 years old and my current wage is 3 times what it was when I was in my early 20s like a lot of people in the scene right now.

There's no right and wrong...

I've seen people who wouldn't spend $40 to get new brake rotors on their car, but think nothing of blowing $100 on weed and beer on the weekends. Then go out and spend another $2000 on a paint job... still got a car that needs rotors...

I have spent my fair share of money on shite (one time I even bought stick-on hood pins (there's a story to it, I'll tell you later)) and things that were cheaply made and mass-produced and you know where those things are now? Yeah, neither do I, but I have a good idea they're at the city landfill after I threw them in the frickin' garbage...

The point is, you literally do "get what you pay for" in this hobby. If you want to be replacing components every few years, or if you want to use products that don't perform as they should, or as well as they could then fine. The right tool for the right job... the right part for the right project and vision.
    For me personally, I'd much rather know I have spent a little more to get quality merchandise that will do what it promises.

I do agree, however, some things like oil caps are overpriced but in those cases you're simply paying for the name. That's nothing new... anyone wearing designer clothes atm?

And yes, some of it is companies trying to make a quick buck by slapping JDM on something and charging twice what it's worth. But lets face it, if people weren't willing to spend $300 on a Personal Box ashtray (I paid $300CAD for a Personal Box back in 2002) then those companies wouldn't sell a lot of them, now would they?

7. 95CivicEX

95CivicEX New Member

Start a Conversation
    I wasnt saying that a $1300 part isnt a good part.... i learned my lesson on buying "shit parts" my example i bought a $180 OBX Intake manifold.....now if i could go back in time i would have spent the $500 for a venom because of how gay OBX is.....i was just saying i dont think a $1300 intake would really be worth it. Would it even draw in that much more power than like an aem would? I personaly dont think it would?

8. digitalHorizon

digitalHorizon New Member

Start a Conversation
    :poke:

9. jhmed

jhmed Member

Start a Conversation
    And that's what I was kinda trying to say too. I think Bentley's aren't worth the ridiculous pricetag. I mean, they are large, heavy, I didn't care for the seat design and the visibility sucks ass, but it does have a kick ass engine, and is built with quality materials...

So basically, it's $280,000CAD for a kick-ass engine and a couple of creature comforts... That's not worth it to me. I'll stick to a lesser model with more of the same, tune it to have more HP than the Bentley and it won't cost more than my house to own.

But to some people who pull in a high-six to seven figure income a Bentley is totally worth it... either because they like the vehicle, or because it's a Bentley... maybe they loved them since they were young and promised themselves when they made their first million they'd buy one. Like Jim Carey and the $10,000,000 check... Some will buy for the name and some will buy for the quality.

It's all relative. You may think $1300 is too much for an intake for an S2K, but I say, "If that is what they truly want, and can afford it, they will buy it. Is it worth it to you? Maybe not." If people weren't willing to spend the money for the quality, there'd be no more Bentley and no more $1300 intakes.

10. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation

amen brotha, amen.

11. 95CivicEX

95CivicEX New Member

Start a Conversation

I agree!!!! so pretty much lets start getting back to over priced JDM shit and drop the whole intake thing. K everyone :puke:

12. 97-ferio

97-ferio Active Member

Start a Conversation
    werd, time to get back on topic.:)

13. L3gkang

L3gkang New Member

Start a Conversation
    How about almost a $1,000 on a set of seats for my G2 legend then i will pay about another $600 to have them recovered if thats not enough then what about doing that twice the whole thing but getting recovered for my wifes legend!lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. L3gkang

L3gkang New Member

Start a Conversation
    Ok check this out a friend of mine sold his jdm navi console for a legend for $1,344.00 shipped and it was missing pieces!To think i have 5 of them 4 at my house and one over a club members house who has one also!If you dont believe me look one acura-legend.com and pull up navi consoles the user name is Shaar he's the saler and Pinxy is the buyer!
    ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j239_l3gkang_myPicture134.jpg
    ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j239_l3gkang_myPicture134.jpg