D2 RS Coilover Review

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires' started by Nachtmensch, May 27, 2008.

1. Nachtmensch

Nachtmensch New Member

Start a Conversation
    ive had mine since october last year. i have few complaints about them thus far. I thought i should put a thread up for anyone thinking about these for their car. each car is different, but this is based off them for the 87-89 Toyota MR2 application

1. I noticed recently (few months ago) that the coating on the springs has already come off, and the springs are already rusting. i will try to contact D2 about sending new springs, but i may just upgrade to some eibachs or something more reputable. This isn't a huge ordeal, but it would be nice if they looked nice every time i pulled my wheel off. not much to ask i think :)

2. they were too stiff and bouncy at first. i had to soften the damper a bit to get it to smooth out. (i forget the exact setting, but if anyone wants to know, i can figure it out for you). 32 way adjustability is nice, but not when the top 3rd isnt valved for the springs that come with it.

3. They did not go nearly as low as i needed at first. i removed the rear mount for the sway bar and the 2 collars on each side to get the rear low enough. and for the front, i flipped the bottom mount as well as removed 2 collars on each side of the sway bar mount. the fronts are currently maxed out with about 1/2" of preload on the springs, and the rear has about 1/2" of thread left on the shock between collars. (i will order shorter springs when i do get the eibachs to compensate for this)

4. the coilovers did not come with a brake line mount that is attached to the coilover. instead, they give you these weird looking brackets that you have to bend and contort to get in the correct position to hold your brake line away from anything that can damage them. they work ok, but something a little more... solid would be better.

5. the spring/damper quality are pretty fair. i havent had any issues with leaking (i heard of one owner whos dampers were leaking before they were even installed) or seizing/coming loose. the build quality of the mounts are satisfactory as i have not experienced any problems.

these coilovers are good for someone wanting to lower their car more than a spring/strut combo would, not not for a hardcore racer. i believe there are better options out there for people looking to track their cars, even if it does cost about a grand more.

i will update this thread if i have any problems before/after my 1 year warranty expires.

-kevin